Friday, March 20, 2015

MORE APES!!! Well.. not apes per se...

So since were on the topic of apes, I thought I'd show a few more pics I was able to get from a fellow worker and friend Crissy Renaud. After working on 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes', we were asked again at WCT productions to work on the sequel 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes'.

Because they knew 100% this time around the apes would be fully CG, they didn't bother asking us to make any ape creations. How ever we were asked to make an elk carcass. It need be complely believeable and was suppoce to have complete interaction from the CG apes. All limbs moved and the head had a fantastic realistic flop.

My contribution involved helping to finish and mold the body parts, which were cut down from a one piece taxidermy body form. I also added with clay the eye and mouth detail on the head form. We ran the body segments in a dense polyurethane foam. I also created the the floppy neck segment.

There was amazing hair and finishing work done by the rest of the team. All in all we did a fantastic job I think. Unfortunately as it goes, you don't even see it for a 1 second on film. Oh well! Please enjoy here!



2 comments:

Brandon Allen said...

This looks great man! I just finished playing with an elk puppet created by the guys at Legacy and this looks every bit as good, if not better. I'm glad to see you posting again, I love following along! I'm working in Vancouver for a few month and would love to grab a drink sometime and say hey in person. I heard you were helping set up the new school over seas, so if you're not around I completely understand. Cheers man and take care! Brandon (aka tokyorose) brandon_allen@live.ca

Michael Nickiforek said...

Hey man thanks for the kind words. Haven't chatted in some time!! It's true I'm over seas in Shanghai working at the new VFS campus here. I'll be back in the beginning of Oct, if you're still around lets grab that beer!

I want to post more on here, have some stuff I have yet to. Hopefully soon!