Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Year old make up!!

Yes this is a year old, it was just a quick make up done as a favour to my friend and mentor Charles Porlier.

Last Halloween, Charles asked me if I could do a pirate make up on the director of marketing at VFS, Stephen Webster. I said sure of course! He mentioned maybe I could use some generic pieces from 'Making It Big' I made a while back.

To be honest though, I am not a fan of generic appliances, especially nose pieces, as they NEVER fit right. So I said, you know what? Just tell him to come down to the class and I'll do a quick fast casting. So that's what I did. Even though it was just the front of his face, not even half his head, Stephen totally got the fear! Little too encased for his liking. The cast turned out great though!

Anyways that night I sculpted, molded and ran the make up pieces.

The molds weren't the prettiest, but it was all done for free, of course it was my choice!!

For me the best part of doing this was the reaction I got from Stephen. He thought he was gonna come down and get a scar "painted" on his face. But when I was finished he was truly blown away. I don't think until that very moment, he realized what the students at the school and make up artists in general do and can do.

I sent him home with a clean up kit since he would wear it home form work and for the evening while he took his kids trick or treating. I asked and the removal went just fine.

The make up consisted of 2 pieces. One huge nose/nasal labial/eye bag piece, and one little piece to continue the scar below his eye to above his brow(note the scar should have gone through his eyebrow, I skipped this to make the removal easier). Glued down with pros aid and colored with Illustrator colors. I laid hair with pros aid as well. There was a shine from the glue in the hair, I should have matted it down, but I didn't, next time!

PS: I had help from Elissa and Laura at VFS putting on Stephen's wig!!

Holy jeeeeezzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!

So yeah, it's been way tooooo long since my last post. My last post talked about a current personal project, it is still under way!!! I was working this past few weeks here and there on the sculpt. Once that is completed I will post pics, or maybe ever before then!!

For now here is the bust of the guy (Jamie) I will be doing the make up on.

The casting came out of a Body Double mold, so the casting was really high in detail and came out almost perfect. Very lovely indeed!! I put on a few coats of alcote (or similar) and have put several hours into the sculpt. I am also work on hand sculpts as well.

So hopefully in the next day or two pics will be up! Keep checking for more updates!!

Friday, April 18, 2008

As of late....

I have been super busy working at WCT Productions here in Vancouver. I haven't had time to work on any personal projects, thus haven't posted in some time!!

Anyways I have a bit of down time recently and decided to buy a crap load of new materials I don't have much experience with. This includes platsil gel 10 (yes the infamous) for making GFA's using bald cap plastic. I'm also gonna experiment making molds out of TC-1630 for both silicone and gelatin.

I also bought a crap load of pros aide, with wet slide paper and acetate to get even more comfy with the amazing bondo transfer appliances. I have made quite a few of these now, from sculpting them, to molding them and running the molds. I just want to find out the little things I was always curious about ie: how much shrinkage is there, how much should you over sculpt to compensate and to see if using a food dehydrator works as I've heard for speeding the drying process with good results. Also achieving the correct bondo color mix, as it's super tricky since the end color is way different then the wet bondo mix.

So yeah, I'm planing on doing an aging make up with the silicone work, and some cool crazy things with the bondo appliances (not exactly sure yet). The aging make up will even have a tricky mold too! Planning on doing a 2 piece core full neck appliance mold, where the negative is one piece. The make up will include hand appliances as well.

Anyways I hope to have some sculpts up when ever I get crackin and other cool stuff to post soon!

There is some WCT work that I'm pretty proud of, and will be released in theaters soon! Just have to wait and see what it is!! ;)

Friday, January 04, 2008

New scar!! (well sort of)

So while working at VFS as a TA I let a student use the scar mold I had to run some foam pieces for herself. In doing so she also ran a copy for me as well!

So one day (back in Aug '07) I decided to apply the piece and color it. Now before the foam appliance was glued down I used a piece of nylon, glued and anchored to the upper cheek and side neck, to give the face some tautness, resembling tightened scar tissue. It's not super obvious, but you can see some droop on the outside of the left eye. Next time I use this technique, I know I'll go for a little more pull. Also this foam piece was not made for Natalie, but due to the nature of the piece, it would fit just about anyone quite easily!

The piece was glued down with Beta Bond, and colored with a base Pax wash and then Illustrator colors. I wanted this scar to look more raw and new, compared to the gelatin scar which looked much more healed. There is quite of bit of pinks, reds and purples used. Enjoy!!