Thursday, May 21, 2009

Canadian Makeup Show Demo's: Part One - Sculpts.

So for the Canadian Makeup Show (held April 4th and 5th '09), friend, coworker and makeup artist Stan Edmonds ask me if I would be interested in doing a makeup demo at the VFS booth. I of course am always up for another make up project and also supporting the school.

I decided that doing a different one each day would be cool, and also give me a great side project for the evenings and weekend after the 9-5 shop work. I did a face cast of Jon and Katie both from MKD08 (newest VFS makeup class). I right away new I wanted to do a burn scar on Jon, and then decided to do a subtle aging makeup on Katie. I first sculpted and completed the scar make up molds. It was a single sculpt floated off and broken down into 4 appliances. The over all piece was an awkward shape, and breaking it down not only aided in application but also in molding as there was now no undercut worries. It turned out great!

I then started Katie's makeup. I got the 3 piece sculpt based out and was gonna float off and finish on the separate molds. I then decided I didn't want to do gelatin both days, and thought it would be better to do something different for the second day. Just making a run of bondo transfers last week for friend and mentor Charles Porlier, I decided it would be cool to do a full bondo transfer makeup.

I removed the original age sculpt (I really like the forms a lot too, oh well ) and quickly drew on a cut/scratch pattern, I then quickly roughed in the cut edges and then refine them all. It actually went quite quickly pre drawing them, as I knew exactly what to do and didn't need to come up with it off the top of my head. Once the were 95% done I floated them off, flattened them all and finished the sculpts. The flattening is required in the making of bondo transfers. I then poured up a silicone mold.

Here are the gelatin burn and bondo transfer cut sculpts. Makeup's to come soon!


Burn Sculpt.



Floated off and remounted and refined.



Bondo sculpt.



Floated off, flattened, and finished.

No comments: