Thursday, August 31, 2006

Networking

So while working on a VFS student film called 'Per-specs' I met a local actor named Jono Lee. He was a really great guy, super nice and funny as well. While on the shoot I showed him my portfolio, and as a result he asked if I could maybe help out with something he had coming up. He wanted me to do a scar(we later made it a burn scar) of some sort on the side of his face. So I said sure I'd love to and we exchanged cards. I must say you're never really sure if things will progress or just stand still at the first initial talk. But sure enough they did, it ended up that project he wanted me to work on was going to be an entry for a competition held by the Vancouver Asian Film festival. We had a meeting and set a date to do Jono's face cast. Once that was done I went on my way sculpting the piece I would use on him. I ended up sculpting 2 different scars. I did the first and showed Charles Porlier and asked for tips as I always do!! He gave me some great advice, which involved me thinning out the piece/sculpt. In doing so I basicaly removed all the detail I had sculpted. The resculpt was even better and I was extremely please with the outcome. It had a much more realistic look and feel. So for some of you who aren't exactly sure how prosthetics are made. I have posted some the rough stages of creating the piece.

Here you see Jono first with the alginate setting up with some cheese clothe lightly pressed into it. This enables the plaster bandages, which you see in the second picture, that go over top(which give the cast a ridged support) something to grab onto. After the alginate piece is removed a positive is made by pouring Ultracal 30 into the face cast. Once hardened, the alginate and bandages are removed and the positive was put in a Ultracal 30 base. Once this set up I cleaned up the edges a bit and it was ready to sculpt on.

You can see in the pictures here how the ear was completely filled in(with Ultracal 30) and only the ear lobe was exposed(now covered with clay though) with a bit of the outer rim. The one on the left was my first sculpt, as you can see it is quite thick and almost Freddy Kruger like. I wanted it to be more real, and although I did see actual pictures of real scars that were this thick and obvious, the less is more idea seems to always work. So once I removed a lot of the mass I extended the scar even further, though it was much thinner, this gave me a better blending edge, and the scar didn't look like a thick prosthetic just slapped on the face. The piece came out amazingly well, and had great edges for blending! The final result soon to come...

No comments: